Grab my Top 10 Raw Foods For Cleansing The Body E-book (free!)
How would you like a recipe that is quick and simple to prepare and at the same time creamy, decadent and super filling? (healthy of course – that’s a non-negotiable!) That’s what I thought 😉
Before transitioning to eating 100% raw, pasta used to be one of my most loved meals. Spaghetti bolognese, pesto pasta, tomato marinara to name a few. Unfortunately I remember always feeling very full, bloated and tired after eating pasta dishes. But gone are those days – thank God.
Let me introduce you to one of my favourite recipes – Raw Pesto Pasta! RAW PASTA!? I can hear some of you asking “How can you have raw pasta?”. And no this doesn’t involve crunching on hard uncooked pasta out of a packet. It’s easy! All you need are two things: zucchini and a spiraliser. I use THIS spiraliser and it is my all-time favourite kitchen utensils!
Now I don’t want to get your hopes up of thinking that using zucchini as a pasta substitute means it’s going to have the exact texture of pasta, because it’s not. The zucchini will be slightly crunchy and obviously cold, but it is full flavour and delicious goodness and I actually crave my big bowls of zoodles.
This recipe uses cashews as the base of the sauce. Full of good fats, cashews are also full of minerals and antioxidants which are particularly beneficial for your heart and eyes. They are what give this sauce it’s decadent and creamy taste.
Enjoy this recipe for lunch or dinner and know you are getting a huge hit of nutrient value from the combination of beautiful fresh, raw ingredients with the added bonus of not feeling weighed down or bloated afterwards.
CREAMY RAW PESTO PASTA
- 2 large zucchini’s OR if you don’t want it raw;
- Gluten-free pasta of your choice
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked 2 hours (optional, but will be easier to digest)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Few large leaves fresh basil (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup water or more to achieve desired consistency
Other Add Ins
These can really be anything you want. Here are some suggestions:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green onions, diced
- If using pasta, cook according to instructions. If using zucchini, put it through a spiraliser. (Click HERE to buy the spiraliser I use and recommend).
- Blend all the sauce ingredients. Lightly blend for a chunkier pesto or blend longer for a smooth and creamy texture.
- Pour sauce over the pasta, add in the veggies and mix everything together with your hands (or use spoons if you don’t like getting your hands dirty).
- to make the zucchini noodles look more like pasta, make sure to peel them first
- to help the zucchini noodles resemble the more al dente texture of pasta, make this recipe a couple of hours before eating it so that the noodles can soften
- take this dish to another level by making the sauce 6 hours ahead and culturing it with probiotics. The good bacteria will break down the proteins from the nuts in to amino acids, the fats in to fatty acids and the carbs in to glucose and you end up with an easily digested raw living sauce.
So get cooking (or un-cooking) and make this dish. Double up on ingredients and share it with a friend or loved one.
Have you tried zucchini noodles in place of noodles or pasta before? If so, what do you think? If you give this dish a try let me know how it went in the comments below.