This dairy free hot chocolate is a healthy (and more yummy) alternative to the common packaged powdered mixtures. When I was younger I used to drink copious amounts of a brand called Milo. After I finished drinking it I would sneak back into the kitchen and eat the dry powder with a spoon.
I. Was. Addicted.
Needless to say those products are very unhealthy. Whereas this recipe is made using 100 percent, fresh, whole plant foods making it very healthy.
I personally think it also blows the hot chocolates you’d order at a restaurant out of the water, too! It kind of reminds me of those more gourmet type of chocolate drinks… I think their called an Italian Hot Chocolate. Its consistency is quite thick – you could literally eat it with a spoon.
This is perfect for those cold winter days when you’re craving something hot, sweet and luscious to warm your soul. If you think it didn’t sound delicious enough, you can also add a dollop of coconut yogurt and sprinkle on some raw cacao nibs… cause, why not?
You only need 5 minutes to whip this baby up and you’ve got yourself a comforting, chocolatey drink that is chock full of minerals, healthy fats and protein. It’s also raw, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free and vegan.
This recipe was inspired by Kate Flowers and her raw vegan hot chocolate recipe.
Healthy Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups filtered/spring water
- 4 medjool dates pre-soaked 2 hrs
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tbsp cashews pre-soaked 2 hrs
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- Blend until smooth and creamy then add to a saucepan.
- To keep it raw, gently heat until warmed.
- For a non-raw, and hotter drink, heat until it reaches your desired temperature.
- Add a dollop of coconut yogurt and garnish with raw cacao nibs, if desired.