This spinach smoothie is a delicious and healthy detox recipe.
As I’m writing this, it is the new year. People have generally overindulged in the holiday period and are looking to get back into a healthy routine. Regularly drinking green smoothies is a great way to experience more energy, nourish your body and lose some extra pounds if desired.
This spinach smoothie recipe is ideal to drink for breakfast or lunch. It is full of nutrients and will keep you feeling full and energised for hours.
Spinach Smoothie Detox Benefits
The bananas and dates are caloric dense and full of natural sugars, fuelling your brain and body with much needed energy. They will help you feel full and satisfied and curb cravings you may have for unhealthy foods.
This spinach smoothie is an easy and great way to include more greens in your diet. These, along with apples, bananas, and lemons have been shown to support liver health. This is crucial as the liver is the main detoxification organ in the body.
Looking for more ways to naturally support your body’s detoxification processes? Check out my article “How to Support your Detox Pathways Naturally“.
Spinach Smoothie Ingredients
- Bananas: Bananas make a great base for all smoothies. I prefer to use frozen bananas for a thick, creamy texture; you can use fresh if you prefer.
- Dates: Dates add a rich, delicious sweetness to this drink. They are high in iron, potassium, magnesium and fibre. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, and the dates you have on hand are hard and dry, then soak them in water for half an hour.
- Red Apple: I have chosen to use red apples over green ones because they are rich in anthocyanins. These antioxidants may help protect against heart disease, cancer, diabetes and inflammation. Any type of red apple works fine, but I suggest Gala or Pink Lady if you have access to them.
- Spinach: Spinach is rich in iron, calcium and Vitamin C. It’s the best type of leafy green to use in smoothies because you cannot taste it.
- Kale: The minerals lutein and zeaxanthin give this leafy green vegetable its deep, dark green colour; helping to keep your eyes healthy.
- Celery: It is high in minerals like magnesium, iron and sodium. Its high natural sodium content adds a mild salty flavour to this drink.
- Parsley: Use curly or flat leaf parsley in this recipe to boost your levels of Vitamin A and calcium.
- Lemon: Lemons are very rich in Vitamin C which benefits bone health and tissue repair, and boosts the immune system. The acidity will also balance the sweetness. You can substitute with limes if you can’t find lemons.
- Ginger: Ginger is very anti-inflammatory and adds a lovely kick to the recipe.
Note about Apples in Smoothies
Want more Healthy Smoothie Recipes?
Spinach Smoothie: Healthy Recipe for Detox
- 2 bananas
- 4 dates
- 1 red apple
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 leaves kale
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 small chunk ginger
- 1 squeeze lemon
- 1.5-2 cups water
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Add extra water and blend for longer if it's too thick.