Grab my Top 10 Raw Foods For Cleansing The Body E-book (free!)
Who doesn’t love pizza!?
Homemade pizza is always so much fun to make because you can top it with all of your favourite ingredients and the whole family can get involved.
It is difficult to find a pizza crust recipe with clean ingredients that doesn’t include animal and wheat products. This recipe leaves you feeling satisfied without the dreaded bloated feeling.
I’ve done a lot of experimenting and this is one of the best crust recipes I’ve been able to come up with. The cauliflower has a neutral taste and absorbs all the flavours beautifully and I chose millet flour because it has a sort of cheesy flavour.
It’s not perfect, and don’t compare it to a traditional pizza crust as you can’t exactly pick the pieces up with your hands. BUT, it is thin, crispy and super delicious! I will continue working on a vegan crust recipe which holds together better, but for now, this will definitely suffice.
CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
- 2 cups raw cauliflower florets (about 1 small head)
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 1/4 cup water (egg replacement)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional – gives a cheesy flavour)
- Any herbs or spices you desire e.g. thyme, salt, pepper, basil etc.
Whatever pizza toppings you desire. I used a tomato sauce made of 1/2 cup tomato puree mixed with 2 tbsp tomato paste. For the veggies I used mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach leaves, olives, onion and pesto.
TIP: I know it’s easy to get excited and top pizza with a whole lot of ingredients, but I’ve learnt that less is more!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor until you get a fluffy “rice” consistency. Be careful not to over process.
- Mix the cauliflower, millet flour, nutritional yeast, and herbs and spices in a bowl until combined.
- Stir water into chia seeds and add to cauliflower mixture. Mix thoroughly to ensure chia seeds are evenly spread throughout.
- Add a little extra water so that the mixture combines well. The “dough” should be pretty wet. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Press “dough” onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mould into desired shape and spread until about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then top with the tomato sauce and veggies. Sprinkle with additional nutritional yeast if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until veggies are slightly tender.