This meal is very healthy and chock full of texture and flavours. It is perfect for when you’re craving something light yet super filling and satisfying. I usually use zucchini noodles when I’m making a raw pasta or noodle dish, but this time I decided to try something different – kelp noodles.
Kelp noodles have a neutral flavour and firm crunchy texture, but when drowned in a thick creamy sauce, they soften and taste like traditional cooked noodles, whilst absorbing the flavour of the sauce beautifully. Speaking of the sauce… OH MY! It is so creamy and delicious. The curry powder makes it so flavourful and gives the dish a thai essence. After blending you may think it looks too thick, but trust me, once you massage it into the noodles and veggies everything turns out perfectly. Oh, and you can honestly add whatever veggies you desire. Play around and find what works for you.
Kelp is a type of seaweed. Studies have shown that seaweeds may have an important role in modulating chronic disease. They contain unique bioactive compounds not present in foods from the earth, including different proteins, polyphenols, and polysaccharides. Potential benefits include antiviral, anticancer, and anticoagulant properties.
Seaweed is rich in iodine. Iodine is a mineral that is needed in the diet to ensure that the thyroid works properly. Thyroid hormones play an important role in a wide range of bodily functions, including metabolism, bone health, immune response, and development of the central nervous system.
Curried Almond Noodle Salad
- 2 packets kelp noodles
- 1/2 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 1/2 red capsicum sliced thinly
- 1/4 head purple cabbage sliced thinly
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- Handful cilantro
- Handful raw almonds roughly chopped
Curried Almond Butter Sauce
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 piece of fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 dates pre-soaked for 2 hours
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4-1/2 cup filtered/spring water or more, as needed to make creamy
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- Prepare the kelp noodles according to instructions.
- Blend all the sauce ingredients until smooth and creamy. The texture should be fairly thick, but still pourable.
- Add the kelp noodles to a large bowl with the veggies.
- Pour the almond butter sauce on top and use your hands to massage it into the ingredients.
- Divide among four bowls and top with extra cilantro and almonds.